Monday, August 22, 2011

Intuitive Expression.

In the song Foolish Games by Jewel she describes a person as being "fashionably sensitive" and as the character has a habit of being preposterous in their relationship it's confusing to know that he's "too cool to care" how he looks. "Ok dude, get with it!"   What works is a solid wardrobe that says  'this is me', and one that suggests that you are respected by the way you dress. I've seen too many people in public wearing their pajama pants. I don't know who began that and why but it doesn't attract intelligence. I understand some people might not have any choice of clothes, that's sad, and for this I am grateful for what most of us do have. 

So back to the p.j.s to run errands.  As comfort is the way most of us want to go I understand how relieved we must be coming from a history of corsets, layers, and heavy garments, but to hop in the car for the grocery store in your p.j.'s is like going from eating steak and salad to potted meat and wonder bread. Throw some jeans on and a smile (men too), you won't look lazy, only approachable. Could it be that the debt our nation has gotten into has come from this attitude of  "I don't care."?  Possibly...ok, yes. yes it has.

This idea of being fashionably sensitive is my way of piecing items together.  I can think of beautiful adult women who are as sweet and loving as we get but has no clue on fashion...bless their hearts. I know women who get dressed just to cover their bodies, the very simple type. There are women who look like they live in another era such as 1985, kinda makes me feel like we are not living in the same time.   Although I have a daughter who's fashion sense is far less sensitive, I've realized that pushing my style on her makes getting dressed traumatizing. I've learned that the best way to encourage our children to express their personalities starts in their closets. I have a friend who's son is a photographer shooting BIG names, and she allowed her son to wear whatever he wanted as a child. I believe it has enabled him to be the artist he is today (and his style is very tasteful).

Our clothes tell the world a lot about us as thinkers, and as someone who is fashionably sensitive I take myself as someone who understands truth. Let there be understanding brought to our clothes rather than not knowing or caring. The next time you hop in the car after a long night to pick up some eggs, and to stop by the bank imagine running into the next person that will help you in your career, it's a new day.

1 comment:

  1. True true my dear. Fashion is a controversial form of expression, but it is a form nontheless. I WILL stop and think about my career next time I'm running out to get coffee creamer at 7am. Good point!

    ReplyDelete